JOALI TO OPEN ON MURAVANDHOO ISLAND, MALDIVES
Designed as a sophisticated globalista’s luxurious island retreat, JOALI is set to launch inQ4 2018. The resort’s elegant 73 private beach and water villas and residences are the epitome of sustainable glamour, whilst four restaurants provide inventive fusion cuisine from several corners of the globe and a liquid nitrogen ice cream corner surprises even the most discerning of foodies. JOALI’s imaginative offerings, including exquisite architecture and interiors by Autoban and Tokyo-based Studio Glitt and works of immersive art by celebrated young designers including Misha Khan – many using recycled materials – as well as dedicated Art Studio and Gallery, wellbeing programme in collaboration with ESPA and impeccably-curated in-room libraries, provide a showcase for a new form of unconventional luxury that celebrates craftsmanship and artistry.
JOALIresides on the picture perfect Muravandhoo island on the Raa Atoll in the northern Maldives. One of the largest and deepest atolls in the world home to a myriad of sea life for epic snorkelling and diving, guests can expect pristine white sand beaches surrounded by brilliant blue waters and fringed by coconut palms. Keen to ensure this delicate ecosystem was maintained throughout the duration of the build and beyond, JOALI was designed in and around each tree. From the private JOALI lounge at Male airport, a 45-minute seaplane flight whisks you to the resort.
Each of the 73 villas at JOALI was inspired by individual stories and designed to take guests on a rich sensory journey. Artisanal amenities, curated in-room libraries, thoughtful design and deluxe objets d’art ensure the epitome of unconventional luxury. Taking centrestage is the Private Ocean Residence and Private Duplex Beach Residence. Within the Private Ocean Residence guests can expect nearly 500 sqm of opulent living space across three bedrooms, three dressing rooms– complete with two walk-in closets each– and two living rooms. Two striking infinity pools, butler and valet service and a non-call Dhoni completes the offering. The Private Duplex Beach Residence boasts over 500sqm across four exquisite bedrooms allowing ample space for up to eight people without comprising on privacy. Alongside butler and valet service, a curated library, buggy and driver are also at guests’ disposal at all times but the jewel in the crown is its premier beachside position affording private sunrise swims and sun-downers in the sand.
The dining options at JOALI have been thoughtfully curated to ensure a selection of flavours to satisfy all manner of palates;
- SAOKE Restaurant – the first in the Maldives to be designed by renowned Japanese restaurant architect Noriyoshi Muramatsu, this attractive homage is replete with Kotatsus eating, elegant lounge and Nikkei cuisine
- Vandhoo Restaurant – a specially designed dining experience spanning tastes from across South-East Asia, China, the Mediterranean and the Levant, Gourmet gallivants will indulge in experiential dining choices, superlative breakfast spreads and an impressive cellar of hand-picked wines and vintage stomach
- Her Kitchen – a personalised culinary experience for guests to learn how to cook (and enjoy) local Maldivian recipes
- Bellinis – a piece of Italy in the midst of the Maldives, from Nonna-approved pastas to obligatory Bellini aperitivos and grappa digestifs
- The Mura Bar – comprising cabanas and infinity pods overlooking the sandy white beach and iridescent sea– the Mura Bar will be the place to head for sparkling sunset cocktails and light bites. Nestled within is a special whiskey and cigar lounge
- The Chocolate and Ice-cream Store– indulge in a host of artisanal sweet treats at the chocolate and ice-cream store, with ice cream tailor-made in front of guests on liquid nitrogen plates
- Destination dining – A special menu to be enjoyed wherever guests wish to reside that day, from a private sandbank to an art immersive tree house dining experience
With its vibrant ocean and lush landscapes JOALI can create an exceptional itinerary for its guests; from snorkelling with manta rays to wake boarding, chartered yacht and dhoni excursions as well as meeting with local communities, JOALI can coordinate all manner of bespoke Maldivian experiences.
Keen to make the most of their surrounds and showcase their own special take on L’art du Vivre JOALI has created a host of special moments in time and hidden gems– including the JOALI Spring Ceremony, a cosy Tree House hideaway and a dedicated Book Exchange to inspire fellow bookworms from around the globe.
Forsaking the ‘Kid’s Club’ route, JOALI has created a host of offerings to keep little ones entertained; from native storytelling days with local raconteurs delighting children with their magical tales to interactive treasure hunts around the resort and cookery classes for budding chefs in the kid-friendly kitchen.