Roca’s international design competition ‘Jumpthegap’ returns with top award of 10,000 Euros
Roca is encouraging UK students and professionals of architecture, design and engineering to enter an international competition that could win them up to 10,000 Euros.
Jumpthegap was launched in 2004 by bathroom brand Roca in collaboration with BCD Barcelona Design Centre. The competition returns in 2017 and is open to creative professionals and students under the age of 35, to create innovative and sustainable concepts for the bathroom space.
This year’s competition coincides with Roca’s 100th anniversary and offers entrants the opportunity to win two awards of 10,000 Euros in each of the professional and student categories as well as a special sustainability award of 6,000 Euros from Roca’s We Are Water Foundation (WAWF).
Shortlisted projects will be selected by an esteemed group of global architecture and design professionals. Patrik Schumacher, Principal of Zaha Hadid Architects will serve as President of the Jury along with Ma Yansong, Founding Principal of MAD Architects, and Royal College of Art design graduate Valentin Vodev. Sophie Thomas, Director of Thomas. Matthews agency in London and practitioner of sustainable design will help select the WAWF award.
Registration is open until 15 March 2017 at jumpthegap.net, with the final design submission deadline on 19 April 2017. Winners will be selected in the summer and an award ceremony will take place in the autumn. Specific dates to be announced in due course.
Jury members – Professional and Student Awards:
- Patrik Schumacher (Jury President) – Principal of Zaha Hadid Architects Benedetta Tagliabue, Architect and Director of EMBT Miralles Tagliabue, Italy Ma Yansong, Architect and Founding Principal of MAD Architects, China
- Vladimir Pirojkov, Designer and President of the Industrial Design and Innovation Centre ASTRAROSSA, Russia
- Anjali Srinivasan, Director of the ChoChoMa studios and winner of the Swarovski Designer of the Future Award 2016, India
- Valentin Vodev, graduated from London’s Royal College of Art and Founder of Vodev Studio, Bulgaria
- Josep Congost, Roca Design and Innovation Director, Spain
- Isabel Roig, Managing Director of BCD Barcelona Design Centre and former President of Bureau of European Design Associations, Spain
Jury members – We Are Water Foundation Award:
- Xavier Torras (Jury President), Director, We Are Water Foundation, Spain
- Sophie Thomas, Designer and Founding Director of Thomas.Matthews Agency, UK
- Henk Ovink, Special Envoy for International Water Affairs, The Netherlands