Starwood Hotels and Resorts introduce first Tribute hotel in Europe
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) today announced the debut of Tribute Portfolio in Europe with the addition of the Great Northern Hotel, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. Launched this past April as Starwood’s 10th brand, Tribute Portfolio is a collection of outstanding independent hotels and resorts, promising owners, Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) members and guests alike the ability to “Stay Independent.” The signing of the Great Northern Hotel – a historic King’s Cross London landmark – is a significant step in the global roll-out of Tribute Portfolio and reflects the growing global trend for independent, yet dependable high-end travel experiences.
“We are delighted to welcome the Great Northern Hotel as the first Tribute Portfolio property in Europe,” said Dave Marr, Global Brand Leader for Tribute Portfolio and Sheraton Hotels & Resorts. “The hotel has been designed with such meticulous attention to detail, and we’re excited to partner alongside Mr. Jeremy Robson as he continues to bring his independent vision to life.”
Tribute Portfolio Lands in London
Situated within the new Western Concourse of King’s Cross and just 25 meters from the Eurostar terminus at St. Pancras International, the Great Northern is one of the finest upscale boutique hotels in greater London. Having first opened in 1854, the hotel has been exquisitely refurbished and re-designed by Victorian master builder Lewis Cubitt to evoke the glamour and grace of the building’s extraordinary past. The Cubitt rooms feature high ceilings and large twin sash windows, filling the rooms with an abundance of natural light, while the fun and charming Couchette rooms serve as innovative interpretations of a traditional railway carriage car sleeper. The Wainscot rooms, located on the top floor of the hotel, have high mansard style ceilings and are lined with Black American Walnut Wainscot paneling, which, along with deep aubergine paint, create a seductive ambiance.
As with all of the brand’s properties, the Great Northern Hotel features a noteworthy selection of #ourlikes, a list comprised of distinct moments found at the hotel that illustrate what guests love about “staying independent.” Beyond the typical hotel brochure, these socially-sourced vignettes highlight the secret spots, must-sees and can’t-miss experiences at each Tribute Portfolio property.
The #ourlikes for the Great Northern Hotel include:
- The building’s distinct exterior architecture;
- The luxurious Cubitt Room, named after the hotel’s master builder, featuring Jielde table lamps on either side of the bed;
- The whimsical luggage and door tags, which offer classic line drawings of bellman and other noteworthy hotel features;
- The King’s Cross Kiosk, with delectable must-try roast meat sandwiches;
- The self-serve Pantry located on each floor, which provides guests the perk of feeling right at home;
- Plum + Spilt Milk restaurant, offering fine British cuisine in a decidedly design-focused setting;
- The GNH Bar, with its convivial nightlife in a stylish setting, offering the signature Lady Violet cocktail, paying homage to a former resident from the hotel’s glory days.
“Tribute Portfolio is just the latest example in Starwood’s long history of brand innovation, design leadership and leading global high-end footprint,” said Michael Wale, President, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Europe, Africa and Middle East. “Our mission is to bring great hotels in great destinations to our SPG members who make up more than half of all Starwood stays.”